Save the date!
Future Presbytery Meetings.December 5, 2023, 6:00 to 8:00 PM
John Knox Presbyterian Church
5155 East Lake StreetNorth Canton, OH 44720
February 10, 2024, 9:00 to 11:30 AM
May 22, 2024, 6:00 to 8:00 PM
September 21, 2024, 9:00 to 11:30 AM
December 11, 2024, 6:00 to 8:00 PM
Stated Presbytery Meeting Registration
Tuesday, December 5, 6:00 to 8:00 PM
John Knox Presbyterian Church
5155 Eastlake Street, North Canton, OH 44720
Feel the Burn
We often view fire as a bad thing. Something to be avoided. At worst, faith can be viewed as fire insurance. But Scriptures describe God as a purifying fire. The fire that spoke to Moses out of the burning bush. The God who guided the Israelites in a pillar of flame, and was with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the fire. Advent is a season of purification. A time we encounter the fiery presence of our God who refines us. In many of our churches, it can feel like we’re already holding the ash in our hands. Yet, this ash can also be a sign of new life. How can we receive this fire as a gift? May God even be calling us to stoke the fire? The prophet Malachi and Mother Mary invite us this season to ponder this work of God anew.Come worship with us, as the First Call Pastor’s Cohort will lead us.
To register for the meeting, please email Na and let her know you are coming: [email protected]Watch online
Add to our Mission:)
Muskingum Valley Presbytery is committed to strengthening our churches, and fulfilling the Great Ends of the Church. We are also passionate about becoming a leading voice in our modern reformation. Help keep us going through your personal gifts.Give to MVP!
We are paperless!
Please be prepared to access these files during the meeting. Scroll down for the docket.
December 5, 2023, 6:00-8:00 PM, John Knox PC and onlineUpdates are being made regularly.
Depending on your privacy and cookie settings on your browser, you may need to clear your cookies to get the most recent updates.
Jim Arganbright, Moderator
Call to Order, Declaration of Quorum, Approval of the Docket and Consent Agenda
Actions of the Assembly
Motions from the Stated Clerk
- Motion to Approve Minutes from September, 2023, and Minutes from November, 2023.
- Motion coming from the Session of First Presbyterian Church of New Philadelphia to extend the term of current Deacon Jackie Stutz in the office of Deacon for the Class of 2026. This is deemed necessary due to lack of qualified or interested individuals to serve.
- Motion coming from the Session of First Presbyterian Church of Perrysville requesting that the Session term limit of no more than six consecutive years (G-2.0404) be waived for Elder Kathy Davis. She will be completing her six years on Session as of December 31, 2023. The Session is requesting that Kathy Davis be allowed to serve for another term ending December 31, 2026. This is deemed necessary due to lack of qualified or interested individuals to serve.
- Motion coming from the Congregation of Christ Presbyterian Church of Canton met on Sunday, May 7, 2023, and voted unanimously by voice vote to accept the planned retirement of Rev. David de Vries effective May 30, 2024, and to begin the process of dissolving his pastoral relationship with the church.
- Clerks Full Report and Notes
- Updated Terms of Call
Commission on Preparation for Ministry Notes
- First Call cohort led by Ben George continues to meet regularly. Thank you to the cohort for leading worship today.
- Na Yang and Tim Pollock continue with their seminary M.Div. studies.
- There are not enough applicants to have a Commissioned Ruling Elder cohort at this time.
- Elder Enhancement workshops will begin in February 2024. All elders in the presbytery are welcome to attend any or all of the workshops. Participation in these workshops can be applied toward the CRE program in the future.